Sunday 13 October 2013

Splatterpunk Saints - charity anthology


So this was advertised as a ‘Pay it forward’ organization. Fantastic idea!

After my last disastrous anthology read I was really not sure what to expect but it wasn't THIS.

A beautiful collection of poetry begins the book. I can't review them individually as some are only a few sentences long, others are many pages, but as a collection it was refreshing, humorous  charming and a real soul cleanser even if they were mostly scary, gory, horror filled or just downright spooky!

"worms crawl in, maggots crawl out"  or "It was just past November but not quite December"

RED, Crime Scene Footage & The Village were my favourites.

Then came some short stories.

Prisoner on Chamber Lane by AM Reign: poor Sara what a rotten start to life and then it only gets worse. The torturous description of the fingers really had me gagging.  The question "why" and then "who cares" really freaked me out in the middle. A really great read.

There Goes The Neighbourhood by Murphy Edwards: it was a fun read, sort of, with two old ladies bickering in a car whilst a burglar ransacks their house. The ending was funny but stomach churning.

Necrofreaks by Timothy Frasier: sexed up teenagers in a cemetery  what can go wrong! well reanimated corpses, Nephilium, demons, you name it! Well written with an exciting pace as you are dragged the climax, which does not disappoint.

Red on the Head by Timothy Frasier: a strange little story that I couldn't really get in to.

Headcase by Lori R. Lopez: from the first line you cant help but giggle in gruesome fascination. As the tale winds it way to the finale in the bunker.... well, you need to read it!

Fire & Brimstone by Paul DeThroe:  a real twist in the tale, some strange torture scenes but grossness is WAY out there.

On The Road Again by Mark C. Scioneaux: Chad the serial killer, oh but he is an animal lover, so not totally bad IMO! Brilliant twist.

'Til Death Do Us Part by William Cook: blimey never mind a woman scorned. A wonderfully written total grossfest.

Dark World Tirade by Jonathon Dark: I couldn't really get into the rhythm that the author was trying to convey.

Bereft by James Ward Kirk: what's in the cellar? and who is the more mad, killer or cop?

Filthy Water by Alex Stephens: I found the staccato writing very hard to engage with, so I think I missed half the story.

Victims of Evolution by Chantal Noordeloos: the zompoc is neatly , if gruesomely, described. The attempted survival of a family, the inevitable failure. Then came the evolution, so what would happen if nature were to exert its force over zombies? read and see.....

Dark Dwellings by Dale Eldon: Actors in a haunted house, but not all are what they seem, a good premise with some yucky scenes, a really good read. At the beginning I was a bit dissuaded by the main characters downer comments on the horror culture of today, a shame that "everyone" harks make to yesteryear - things move on! 

Dealer of Death by Mark Gardener: a strange glimpse into Hell and deal done with the Devil. Nicely written, almost on the first person but not quite.

One Night in October by Michael Bray: inside a killers mind, yup its dirty. I felt like a needed a shower after this one.

The Roadie by K. Trap Jones: very clever; song lyrics that take you to Hell with a few really great nods to Metal Bands. Some fantastic imagery is conveyed, as if being drenched in the Devils blood is not bad enough he vomits on a few people! I really enjoyed this little story, and love when I find a new author to stalk (sorry, follow) - thats the BEST bit about anthologies.

The Vegetarian Zombie by K. Trap Jones: I'g glad I was not eating my lunch during this amusing tale of veggie turned zombie! I this was my favourite.

The Thing in the Shadows by Donald White: eeeek, this was really freaky, a goblin in the woods, a tale of discovery and revenge. It really gave me the shivers.

The Monsters of Capital Hill by Robert Holt: I love when humour and outright daftness plays a part in horror, that wonderful ease of tension before the slap around the head. As myths and monsters battle it out it all becomes a bit teeth, fur and claw.

Mary Me by Alex Stephens & James Ward Kirk: theories of two, dancing mice, murderers and mad Drs. All very peculiar but intriguing. 

Part of Me by Paula D. Ashe: I'm not sure if the author meant to be offensive or not but I did not see the point in the homophobic or racist jibes, so sorry, I could not finish this, maybe I missed a good story.

Parkland by William Markly: a very strange concept, a ?succubus transformed from a vampire post a deal with the Devil. As she floats around her chosen Banquet she feeds on the suffering she comes across many ghosts, which freak her out, ha! not as much as me reading the tale.

The Teppanyaki of Truth by Andrew Freudenberg:  a strange way to gratify a desire for something tasty, but what a wonderful way too.



No comments:

Post a Comment