Saturday 30 November 2013

Demon Squad Series (1-5) plus novellas by Tim Marquitz

This is a grouping of the Demon Squad Series 1-5 including two novellas as on the 6th December, 2013, book 6 is to be published.... how can I stand to wait any longer!

Torture, thy name is Tim Marquitz!  I have been so lucky as to stumble across this amazing author!



Ok, so this is a stand alone novella, from a series called the Demon Squad, you can read the series without this novella but if you want a trial to see you like the author and the character, this is the one to buy! 

I have to say I was impressed from the first line, Mr Marquitz certainly knows how to draw you in and get you hooked.


Frank, a breast obsessed demon who just happens to be Lucifer's nephew, is sent to Earth on a mission to basically hunt down Jack the Ripper as "Hell" is pissed off that he is claiming the kills in their name!

To add to the fun he pairs up with his cousin Scarlett, the Angel!


Between the detective story, the chase, the humour, which is totally cracking, and all the other amazing stuff that Mr Marquitz manages to cram in and elude too I am devoted, I could not put this down til I had finished it.... like any good thriller, I had to know whodunnit and why! Sorry, no spoilers here! but there are more than enough blood, guts, squishy bits and fight scenes for the gore hounds.



I was seriously impressed how well Mr Marquitz managed to depict London's East End, him being an American and me actually having worked there for several years, he was spot on. 


Not to mention he didn't try to fake an East End accent, thank goodness! His overall descriptions generally, even of the smell in the pub was so vivid as to make you feel you are there.


This was a fantastic read and I cant wait to grab the rest of the series.




From Hell: Demon Squad Novella





Ok, so we have Demons & Angels warring it out; the normal Armageddon stuff!

However, thrown into the mix are some interesting "half-bloods", family complications, a Supa-Natural agency that is protecting us humans and, oh btw, God & Lucifer have gone on hiatus!

If you like fist fights, sword fights, gun fights, boiling blood and purulent boils.... this will tickle your fancy.

Bad points are the fight moves from a 500yr old Demon are a bit daft, plus he does seem to get beaten up alot, but that's basically his lot in life; this was also the Authors (Tim Marquitz)  first novel so still learning his trade.

As a character he is honest, as a Demon can be!  There are hints at a deeper psyche and definitely some history to be told, but in the most basic of matters he is a horny Demon with a good heart!

I note that there are a few more in this series and I was really looking forward to reading more about Frank and how he was chosen as Lucifer's favourite nephew!

My only real complaint is the nice tidy up at the end, far too clean for me!






I really enjoyed the first book in this series but found the writing/fighting a little repetitive and some of the information a bit "raw"; however Tim Marquitz has certainly polished his writing skills and this second part of the series is just brilliant!

The same characters have become more rounded, with hints as to how they became who they are, this was very clever writing, I want more, yes I'm hooked on TM.

New characters and creatures are fantastically explained, the details are gut wrenchingly disgusting, some serious thought (and research) has gone into this.

The whole story line is inspired from its slow build up to the tension, edge of seat finale; as for the cliffhanger ending.... I bought book no.3 within seconds!

Frank is a very flawed demon, but one you can't help but love. I would really like more back stories on the other characters and hope that Mr Marquitz also sees the "mileage" in this series.

However, my favourite chappy of all in this book was Chatterbox! omg so funny.






A nicely wrapped up short story with a bonus nugget at the end!

Scarlett, Franks' Angelic cousin, awakes to attempted murder as a golden axe crashes onto her pillow and BAM! just like that you are thrown in to Heaven and the onslaught that raged above Frank's head during At The Gates (Demon Squad), fantastic piece of writing! Mr Marquitz ability to switcheroo between such strong characters is brilliant.

You get a 360 view of the story and the lead up to the last and first line of book No.2 and No.3, very clever.

"Prohibition Black And Blues" the additional nugget at the end is such a cute snap shot into Franks' world that you cant help but want more!





I am so annoyed, I am yet again addicted to Frank! Like a bad habit you want to break I keep going back for more, and LOVING it!

The not-quite Hero with some serious flaws; boobs and being a trouble magnet being just two of them.

I was elated to see that Chatterbox also plays a staring role, he is like the Kevin Smith of the book world; silent but a deafening presence.

As Heaven battles it out and the Tree of Life threatens to undo Creation this ragbag team from DRAC try hard to find all the clues, fight off werebears (I kid you not!), whack-a-mole vamps and Angels that don't seem to know they are supposed to be the good guys, to save Humanity. TM manages to weave myth, religion and fantasy into an exquisite mix of horror, humour and mystery.

I know I shouldn't be but I am astounded that the author, self proclaimed metal-head, martial arts tough guy can write such intricate story lines, giving you all the clues but not quite letting you join the dots until the final few chapters and with such sensitivity. 

He also manages to give you some awesome giggle moments, fantastic fight scenes and some touching heart melt moments without making you feel icky, not that you don't get that sensation in other areas of the book!

I now find I am having to pace myself before rushing to buy and read his entire catalogue..... food,work, social life and housework can wait til next month




Wham, straight back into the action, not even time to go food shopping or have a shower for poor Frank before another form of Armageddon drops in his lap (just when does this poor Demon eat or sleep?).

This time the poor sap has aliens to deal with, plus a little home Truth.

Whilst in the finding of the Truth, Frank has his fair share of dead ends, fist fights, magical bursts, town destruction and heart ache. 

However, not all is as it seems me thinks!

Some main characters die in this book, brave of the author, but what brilliant endings.

I have hastily bought book no.5 as Echoes of the Past ended on such a cliffhanger I nearly fell off my chair.







I seriously love ebooks and the joy they have brought into my life; although I note they are also in print and may have to order a few just to proudly display them on my shelf!

Book 5 does not slow in its onslaught of blood, guts, fights, boobs, secrets, mystery and general giggles.

As Frank bumps into his usual trouble and comes across God, Lucifer and Jesus all on a alien world, having a shin dig, he is drawn into a fight that will blow your mind!

I love TMs take on religion and his spin on "whats it all about".

He manages, yet again, to lay all the clues out but not give you the keystone piece until the final chapters, leaving you with that gobsmacked feeling of "how the hell did I not see that coming!"

No dramatic cliff hanger in this one, phew for me, but enough is left unsaid, unsorted or without ending that you wont be left without a craving for more (should anyone want to join me in the stalking and harassment of the author to create more, pls email me!)

I was overjoyed to see Chatterbox make a comeback!

A couple of little shorts at the end are well worth a read and go to show the generosity of this author in sharing his talent!!

My eyes are peeled and my tongue is hanging out waiting for the next chapter in Franks life.




No comments:

Post a Comment